Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Has anyone overcome their thalassophobia?


I think I've made progress. I went snorkeling off the coast of Cuba recently, and had little issue with the (fairly) shallow water. Since it was very clear I could see around me. I think that helped. I saw fish minding their own business, and neat seaweed and coral. Nothing was coming to hurt me. I did have a bit of a panic attack when I wanted to swim away from the boat a ways and couldn't see the edge of the water when looking underneath It was a limitless expanse and I imagined a huge fish coming at me. I also walked in shallow water around an island through some seaweed and got over that gross feeling a little.However, I don't think this will transfer to a northern Ontario Lake. I love to fish, and there are some haggard nasty predatory fish in there. I know I'm too big to eat, so they will not touch me, but damn nature is scary. I wouldn't see them coming in murky water and if I stepped on a stick I would lose it. Even in the ocean the water I couldn't see the bottom of freaked me out. I don't think it's the depth, because I snorkeled in water way over my head. Just not seeing anything.Has anybody had any success getting over this fear?

No comments:

Post a Comment